Usually detectable and curable, oral cancer can affect lips, cheek lining, gums, tongue, floor and roof of the mouth, and back toward the throat. About 30,000 new cases of oral cancer are found each year. Oral cancer is one of the deadliest cancers, but thankfully, Timberview Family Dentistry performs yearly cancer screening on their patients.
Always report to your dentist if you discover any of these possible signs:
- Sores that bleed easily or do not heal
- Lumps or spots that are thick or hard
- Persistently rough or crusted areas
- Numbness, pain or tenderness that may be new or persisting
- It is also important to avoid common risk factors such as tobacco use, excessive alcohol consumption, constant sunlight, habitual cheek or lip biting and ill-fitting dentures.
Your dentist also needs to know if you notice problems chewing, swallowing, speaking or moving any part of your mouth or tongue. Timberview Family Dentistry routinely screens for oral cancer as part of every checkup or cleaning. If you are experiencing any possible signs of oral cancer listed above, call our Oklahoma City office right away at (405) 737-0404.